Dalhousie Springs are a group of mound springs on the edge of the Simpson Desert.
At the largest of these there is a Camping Ground for those intending to cross the desert
This is the last chance for a "clean-up" and swim before the crossing.
Dalhousie Homestead, was located 180k north east of Oodnadatta, it was established by
Edward (Ned) Meade Bagot.
He was an Irish surveyor from Ireland who had a contract to construct the first 500 miles
(800 km) of the Overland
Telegraph Line between Port Augusta and The Peak.
Bagot acquired the pastoral lease in 1872, and the homestead, outbuildings and stockyards
in the 1880’s.
Ned's sons Edward Meade (Ted)
Bagot and Charles
Mulcra Bagot, managed the property until 1885.
Dalhousie was abandoned in 1925 and was acquired by the Lowe family
(from the adjoining Mount Dare Station) in 1948.
In 1984 the SA Government purchased these properties from the Lowe family for $750,000, and created the
Witjira National Park.
"Dalhousie" was always one of our favourite stopovers on our trips through
the area. The water temperature is about 38°c and on cool mornings steam raises
from the water.
We first visited in 1987 soon after it was acquired by the government, and at that time
there were no facilities.